Catch Bonefish, Permit, & Tarpon and Conduct & Support Research
during BRL's 1st Annual Bonefish & Permit Tagging Challenge
The Bonefish and Tarpon Trust, Belize River Lodge and Frontiers Travel are pleased to announce the first annual Belize River Lodge Bonefish and Permit Tagging Challenge, to be held during the week of May 13th through 18th 2011. Anglers who want to spend some quality time fishing and participating in this special research event will be rewarded with great memories and the knowledge that they have made a difference.
During this event we plan to tag as many bonefish and permit as possible with “spaghetti tags” to allow us to follow their growth and migrations. We will also place at least one satellite tag on a big tarpon and DNA swab all tarpon landed. By tagging as many bonefish, tarpon, and permit as possible, we can better understand their movements and growth patterns, which will provide information that will help to conserve and enhance this amazing fishery.
BTT scientists will be on hand to discuss and teach tagging and fish handling techniques and to answer questions about BTT’s research and conservation efforts. They will also conduct a presentation of recent scientific findings about our target species on one evening. This will be a great opportunity to swap stories and advice and to have a chance for a one on one talk with a BTT scientist to really get into the “why” and “how” of bonefish, tarpon, and permit biology – and angling. On the final evening of the week we will award prizes to the anglers who tagged the most bonefish, the largest bonefish, and the most permit.
The fishing opportunities at the Belize River Lodge are second to none – the Lodge was one of the hosts for the BTT television show “Buccaneers and Bones” and is one of the top two locations in the world for catching IGFA registered Inshore Grand Slams and Super Slams.
The Bonefish & Permit Tagging Challenge trip is scheduled for arriving May 12, 2012, fishing May 13 thru 17 and departing on May 18th for a 6 night/5 days Lodge trip.
The cost of the 6 night/5 days Lodge fishing package is US$2,998.00 per person, based on double occupancy.
BRL Fishing Package Includes: Round trip airport transfers in Belize - meeting & checkout services, accommodations, air conditioning in rooms, daily housekeeping, all meals - including a box lunch, soda & drinking water, guided fishing, skiff & fuel, Belize Taxes of 9% Hotel Tax & 12.5% GST tax. BRL Fishing Package Does Not Include: Airfare to & from Belize, fishing equipment & tackle, Belize Fishing License (US$25.00 per week, per angler), alcoholic beverages, tips to guides and staff, Belize Departure Tax (approximately US$39.75 per person – included in ticket or paid at Airport).
If you are interested in our Bonefish and Permit Tagging Challenge trip, but do not have rods, no worries. For those who do not have the right rods, BRL will loan our Sage demo rods for the week’s fishing. Please let us know if you need rods/reels when inquiring.
In addition to participating in a scientific study, your 5 days of fishing at Belize River Lodge will include
- Welcome gifts for all participants.
- Grand Prize of a Winston 8 wt rod.
- Costa Del Mar sunglasses for three main prizes.
- Awards of hand carved wooden trophies for the most and biggest fish tagged of Bonefish, Permit and Tarpon. Carving will be out of beautiful zericote wood and carved by a well-known local Belizean artist.
- BTT membership for any non-members.
- Workshops and presentations on bonefish, permit, and tarpon fishing and science.
- An opportunity to advance our scientific understanding and knowledge through this event.
- Funding for more Bonefish and Tarpon Trust work later, as both BRL and Frontiers are donating to BTT. Belize River Lodge is donating $300.00 for every angler booked and Frontiers is also making a donation per angler.
- A fantastic time in a wonderful setting, with little hassle to you - all you need to do is contact Denise Schreiber or Barbara Alden at Frontiers and they will do all the work. Denise’s email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, Barbara’s is email@example.com or call Frontiers toll free at 1-800-245-1950.
For more information on the Bonefish and Permit Challenge and information on the bonefish study to date, please visit here.
><(((*> ><(*> Catch and Release - Tarpon, Bonefish & Permit <*)>< <*)))><Sponsors of the 1st Annual Bonefish & Permit Tagging Challenge
><(((*> ><(*> Catch and Release - Tarpon, Bonefish & Permit <*)>< <*)))><